This exceptionally elegant Grade II-listed Georgian townhouse is located in the heart of Ledbury, a charming Herefordshire market town at the western edge of the Malvern Hills. The internal living space of around 2,364 sq ft is set over four storeys, with a private courtyard garden positioned at the back of the house. A complete renovation of the interior has been finished to exacting standards, with high-quality tactile materials and immaculate attention to modern detailing paired with impressive Georgian proportions. Ledbury’s train station is a 15-minute walk away, providing a direct route to London Paddington.
Setting the Scene
With a handsome Flemish bond brick façade, pedimented front door and large windows accented with exaggerated keystones, the house was part of a flurry of building activity in the early 19th century on this pretty street near the town centre. Built circa 1827, by January 1831, the Hereford Journal described the house as a ‘desirable and genteel residence’ and ‘commodiously fitted up with every necessary fixtures and convenience’. Positioned opposite the expansive Ledbury Park, the house has all the benefits of the bustling and popular town of Ledbury, as well as views of the surrounding countryside. For more information, please see the History section.
The Grand Tour
The entrance is set at the centre of the traditional red-brick façade. A calm aesthetic flows with continuity throughout the interior, and a sensitive balance of contemporary details, materiality and the use of a neutral colour palette creates a very specific feel to each room.
Subtle interventions have opened the ground-floor circulation spaces, with cleverly positioned internal glazing and glass doors allowing light to flood through. The open-plan kitchen and dining room have been thoughtfully designed, transitioning with ease between daily use and entertaining. An adjoining pantry is set to one side, and bespoke cabinetry offers a good provision of storage. Timber-framed windows provide excellent levels of natural light, with views onto the leafy courtyard, and there is access from here to the ground floor cloakroom and out to the garden.
The primary living room, a quiet and beautifully refined space, is positioned at the front of the house, replete with original features such as high ceilings, panelled walls and an open fireplace.
Calling attention to the impressive Georgian proportions, a yew staircase forms a sculptural thread, turning gently to connect each level. The first floor is given over to the principal bedroom suite, with the sleeping area to one side of the landing. This is a softly lit space, with sash windows dressed in bespoke shuttering offering far-reaching views across the neighbouring parkland, grazing Herefordshire cattle and up to the woodland. An original fireplace forms the centrepiece to this room. A dressing room adjoins the expansive en suite bathroom with a free-standing claw-foot bath and walk-in shower.
Two light-filled and generously proportioned bedrooms are organised across the second floor, providing equally calm and quiet spaces to sit and read during the day. A Jack-and-Jill bathroom adjoins the two rooms.
A large roof light allows daylight to flood into the open gallery area, which leads up to the third floor. Set in the eaves of the house, this space is currently organised as a studio and office, with exceptional views across the hills from deep-set skylights. This space is divided into two areas and could easily convert into a fourth bedroom.
The Great Outdoors
A line of pleached hornbeams provides excellent privacy in the courtyard garden, a quiet space for morning coffee or afternoon lunches and bathed in soft light during the later hours of the day. Beds of hydrangea limelight, French lavender and shots of purple alliums line the red-brick walls, with neat topiary buxus dotted along the pathways.
Out and About
Ledbury is a charming market town which lies 15 miles to the east of Hereford, characterised by its wealth of historic black-and-white timber buildings. Ledbury’s Grade I-listed Market Hall took 50 years to build and is one of the finest examples in England; it still hosts an excellent farmers market on Tuesdays and Saturdays. A good selection of independent restaurants, cafes, butchers and shops are all within easy walking distance from the house. The popular Three Choirs Vineyard is a short 15-minute drive away, hosting regular tasting events. For a broader selection, Malvern is approximately 15 minutes by car, where the nearest Waitrose can be found, and Hereford and Cheltenham are both around 30 minutes away.
The Southend provides excellent access to the expansive walking and cycling routes through the Malvern Hills, the surrounding Herefordshire apple orchard countryside and beyond to the Welsh mountains on its border. A notable local landmark at the foothills of the Malverns is Eastnor Castle, a 19th century revival castle surrounded by a deer park, arboretum, and a lake. The Cotswolds are also within easy reach.
The house is a fifteen-minute walk from Ledbury rail station, which has direct trains to London Paddington and Birmingham New Street.
Council Tax: E
Ledbury was a humble rural hamlet likely founded around the outskirts of the Bishops manor. The mid-16th century saw the prosperous local wool trade attract clothier merchants into the area, establishing the town as a thriving mercantile centre.
The English Civil war brought several battles to the town. In April 1645, as Royalist troops advanced north to Leicester, Parliamentarian forces barricaded the town but were subsequently routed from Ledbury with substantial losses of 520 men.
The 19th century saw the development of the vibrant literary tradition for which the town is now famous. It has been home to three famous poets – William Langland, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and poet laureate John Masefield. William Wordsworth’s 1835 sonnet St. Catherine of Ledbury is an ode to a 13th century anchoress of town repute. The Dymock Poets, a literary group of the early 20th-century, consisting of Robert Frost, Lascelles Abercrombie and Wilfred Wilson Gibson (among others), made their homes for a short time in the local villages nearby. The well-regarded Ledbury Poetry Festival takes place in various venues across the town every year.