On one of Primrose Hill’s most highly sought-after residential streets, directly opposite the green open space of its eponymous park, lies this wonderful Victorian end of terrace house. Grade II-listed, it extends to almost 2,800 sq ft overall, with four bedrooms arranged over four principal levels, a beautifully planted south-facing garden and the rare distinction of an integral garage.
Setting the Scene
Primrose Hill’s 19th-century buildings include grand rows of listed, narrow houses, symmetrical terraces and large Italianate stuccoed villas. Homes feature decorative flourishes such as pediments, keystones and scrolled brackets on windows, eves and parapets.
The Conservation Area is not entirely Victorian but stands alongside some excellent 20th-century architecture. The wonderfully distinct 1929 Cecil Sharp House was designed in a neo-Georgian style by the architect HM Fletcher, while at No. 10 Regent’s Park Road is Modernist icon Erno Goldfinger’s 1955 block of flats. Proudly interrupting a Victorian stuccoed terrace, Goldfinger’s apartments feature large glazed areas, concrete-balustraded balconies and timber-doored garages. For more information, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
Steps lead from this immensely quiet end of Rothwell Street, over a front lightwell and up to the raised ground floor. A long hallway with black timber floors reaches deep into the plan, and a doorway on the left opens to a superb double reception which extends almost 30 ft in length. Light pours in from north and south aspects through shuttered sash windows, and the black-painted pine continues in satisfying contrast to the white walls and high, intricate floral-corniced ceilings. A gas fire with stone surround is positioned in the reception. From the southern part of the room, a short staircase ascends to a versatile study, leading in turn to a bedroom located above the garage; in the opposite corner of the plan, a half landing below, is a pink-tiled shower room.
Continuing down to the lower-ground level, the staircase descends directly into another sprawling space with an open-plan kitchen, dining room and a third reception, which opens through glazed doors to the private garden. A utility at the rear also opens to the garden. The kitchen has granite worktops and a range cooker; at the front of the house is a cold store larder. There is also independent access to the kitchen via the front lightwell, where two large former coal drops provide further storage.
Rising to the upper levels, the staircase leads first to a large half landing. Wrapped by south-facing windows and overlooking the garden, the space acts brilliantly as a sunroom and reading room as it is currently used.
The principal bedroom occupies the entire first floor with an en suite bathroom at its rear. Two towering sash windows at the front and a large sash window in the bathroom fill the rooms with light. Carrara marble surrounds the sinks and bath, and there is a separate shower. Built-in wardrobes line the western wall.
The second floor contains two further bedrooms, which are linked by double doors. The larger of these mirrors the scale of the principal bedroom but with an exaggerated volume from a vaulted section of ceiling. A trio of Velux windows spill light into the room, which has been used as a painting studio and is currently employed as a living space for the bedroom at the rear. Positioned above them, on a raised half level, is a family bathroom.
The Great Outdoors
The garden is particularly wide for the street, given the extra width of the house and garage. It has the intimate sense of a low-walled courtyard with flagstone paving and beds of tropical foliage like tree ferns and palms. There is access from the house through double doors in the open-plan kitchen/dining room and from the utility, and a set of steel steps on the eastern side of the house lead up to a storeroom and, in turn to the garage.
Out and About
The house is situated in Primrose Hill ‘Village’ on the highly coveted, neighbourly Rothwell Street, seconds from the restaurants, boutiques, pubs and delis on Erskine Road and Regent’s Park Road. Odette’s, Lemonia and Greenberry Café are just a few of the neighbourhood favourites in this, one of London’s most desirable locations. At the end of the street are the green open spaces of Primrose Hill park. Many of London’s best schools are within close proximity.
Chalk Farm and Camden Town Underground stations (Northern Line) are close by, and there are multiple bus routes to central London. Kings Cross Station is a short tube journey away, providing railway connections nationwide and served by Hammersmith & City, Circle, Victoria, Northern, Piccadilly and Metropolitan Underground lines, while St Pancras International station provides Eurostar connections to Paris and Brussels.
Council Tax Band: H
From Roman Times and through the Norman conquest Primrose Hill was named Middlesex Forest and known as a wild hunting ground brimming with deer and boar and infested with wolves. It fell out of Royal tenure during the reign of Henry VIII becoming meadows and fields until it gained its name in Elizabethan times for the abundance of spring flowers found on its slopes. Owned for a time by Lord Southampton, the area became Crown property once again in 1841, and was made available to the poor of north London for outdoor recreation.
These days, as one of London’s most coveted locations, and with such a splendid array of restaurants, boutiques and food shops, hunting in Primrose Hill is at best unnecessary, and at worst, discouraged.