This bright one-bedroom apartment sits on the second floor of a handsome Victorian villa in Belsize Park, on the tree-lined Fellows Road. The London stock brick façade, with intricate stucco moulding and ornate cornicing, is typical of the area’s late-19th century development. Expansive sash windows frame green views to the treetops outside. Sitting between Regent’s Park, Primrose Hill and Hampstead Heath, the apartment is perfectly placed for some of London’s best green spaces, as well as Camden’s culinary and cultural delights.
Setting the Scene
Fellows Road makes up part of the Eton College Estate, along neighbouring avenues Eton Road, Eton Villas, Provost Road, Steeles Road and Chalcot Gardens. The development of the estate in the late-19th century has resulted in roads lined with late-Victorian façades of buff brick and stucco, ornamented with rustic Italian and restrained Grecian detailing. For more information, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
This late-Victorian villa sits behind a line of trees on Fellows Road. Its black-painted front door is set within a pedimented portico and flanked by Tuscan columns and pilasters. The door opens to a communal hallway, where stairs rise to the second floor and the private entrance to this apartment. Sitting to the rear of the building, the apartment has a private and tranquil feel, taking in views over the mature plantings of the street’s back gardens.
To the left of the plan is a well-proportioned reception room, with plenty of space for sitting and dining. The high ceilings and large bay, which is fitted with three expansive sash windows, create a bright and spacious room, a feeling enhanced by the gentle white palette. An elegant fireplace surround makes a lovely focal point, and on either side built-in bookshelves and cupboards provide useful storage. The current owner has arranged a dining table beneath the bay, making an ideal spot to sit in the morning light and admire the green views of the trees beyond.
A pair of glazed doors open from the reception room to a kitchen with deep-green timber cabinetry and a marble worksurface. The room has a four-ring induction hob, while its fittings chime with the building’s 19th-century origins. To one side of the room, a sash window provides warm light, the London stock bricks of the neighbouring villas imbuing it with a honeyed tone. Also leading from the reception room is a well-appointed bathroom.
To the right of the plan is the bedroom, with walls painted in striking deep blue and a sumptuous carpet running underfoot, giving the room a luxurious feel. There is plenty of space for a double bed, and at one side a series of built-in shelves provides excellent storage.
Out and About
Fellows Road is located close to the shops and cafés of Primrose Hill, Belsize Park Village and Hampstead Village. Nearby amenities include Gail’s bakery, England’s Lane café and numerous pubs and restaurants. Slightly further afield is Panzer’s deli, which sells an array of epicurean treats for cooking, eating and entertaining.
Hampstead Heath offers freshwater swimming year-round in the mens’, ladies’, and mixed bathing ponds, as well as some of London’s most beautiful woodland walks. Parliament Hill Lido is within walking distance. In addition to elevated views of the city from Parliament Hill, there are tennis courts, cafés and Kenwood House, a wonderful 17th-century country house and gallery. Primrose Hill and the beautiful Regent’s Park are a short walk to the south.
Chalk Farm (Northern line) and Swiss Cottage (Jubilee line) underground stations are within easy reach.
Lease Length: 984 years remaining
Service Charge: Variable, approx £1,082 per annum
Ground Rent: Peppercorn
Council Tax Band: E
Fellows Road was laid out in the 19th century for a planned suburb on part of Eton College’s Chalcots Estate, where a rural landscape in Hampstead had existed since the 12th century. During medieval times, this then-hilltop village and the surrounding land were granted to the Abbott of Westminster in AD 986 by King Ethelred the Unready; the land was pastoral and provided grass and hay for London’s cattle and horses. In the late-17th century, the area became a fashionable spa during the summer months.
The potential of the land for building was first recognised in 1796 when Eton college surveyors advised “a considerable part of this estate is eligibly situate for building”. However, plots were not advertised until 1829 as being for sale in “lots of no less than half an acre for the erection of single or double detached villas”. This road, named for the college fellows, was originally built in 1873 and completed in 1892, with grand Victorian villas predominantly laid to plans set out by carpenter Samuel Cumings.
- Matt Gibberd on the importance of materials in designHomes
- A Home with a History: all things bright and beautiful at an antique dealer’s 16th-century house in SuffolkInteriors
- Shades of Difference: five homes with prismatic palettes for saleHomes
- A Home with a History: a painter’s sensory sketchpad of a house
- Inspiration of the Week: from clapped-out to clutter-free in ClaptonHomes / Interiors