This exceptional two-bedroom apartment is located in the heart of Wimbledon Village; peaceful, yet moments from the High Street and Wimbledon Common. It is set laterally on the entire piano nobile of an extraordinary Grade II*-listed Jacobean manor house built in 1613 and positioned in a conservation area. The building, grounds and eight apartments within were recently the subject of an exacting restoration, with interiors designed by renowned architectural practice Michaelis Boyd. Internal accommodation extends to over 1,650 sq ft and has incredibly generous proportions, with highly decorative strapwork ceilings and stone mullion oriel windows; there are also handsome chimneypieces with Delft tile inserts and working fires in all rooms. The apartment has two secure allotted parking spaces, plus use of the exquisitely designed communal gardens.
Setting the Scene
Eagle House is set behind a brick-paved forecourt and secure gated entrance, with original spearhead railings and sympathetically designed electronic gates set within. The front elevation features beautifully shaped gables at the roof and rows of tall polygonal chimney stacks positioned centrally. Rendering is painted a very pale blue, with the canted bay and oriel windows displaying decorative red brickwork and housing original leaded lights. A stone eagle sits atop the central gable, guarding the entrance. For more information on Eagle House, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
Steps ascend from the private exterior forecourt to the main entrance hall at the raised ground floor; this was formerly the house’s dining hall and is a truly remarkable space. Black and white marble tiles run underfoot, grounding a huge open hearth and handsome chimneypiece. The panelling dates to 1730, with other 18th-century features lending additional strength to the room. There is a seating area beside the fire, and views extend to the garden beyond, where there is a further window seat.
Entry to the apartment is directly from the main hall and opens to a separate, private entrance vestibule with a cloakroom and WC. A staircase leads from here to the apartment’s main suite of rooms on the first floor. The apartment is on a circular plan and flows exceptionally well, with each space leading seamlessly to the next.
The living room and kitchen area occupy the capacious room in the centre of the plan and are wonderfully generous at over 35 ft deep. Oak parquet flooring runs underfoot and stone mullion windows are positioned at both north and south aspects, allowing the room to be flooded with light. The soaring ceilings feature exceptional Jacobean plaster strapwork designs and are the crowning feature of all three main rooms.
The kitchen area is positioned towards the rear of the space, arranged around a central island that allows for sociable cooking and dining. Pale stone sits atop elephant grey cabinetry in a simple contemporary design; appliances are by Miele. A grand chimneypiece in a bolection style acts as a centrepiece and has limestone slips, Delft tiles and a cast-iron grate.
Two bedrooms lie at the east and west ranges of the plan respectively; both are carpeted in a beautiful, pale stone-coloured deep pile wool. Walls of deep fitted cupboards feature in both rooms, as do exceptional chimneypieces and in the case of the main bedroom, an outstanding cast-iron range. Both rooms have en suite bathrooms clad in pale limestone, with the main bathroom being particularly spacious and light. It has double limestone sinks, a freestanding bath set into the bay window and a large glass shower enclosure. A secondary door to this room leads back to the hallway.
The Great Outdoors
Stone steps descend directly from the grand main entrance hall to raised beds planted with hydrangeas and lavender, and a York stone terrace with low seating, perfect for summer drinks alfresco. The terrace looks out to the formal garden, thoughtfully designed in the prevailing manner of James I’s reign; a classically Jacobean symmetrical layout with lawn and formal Buxus hedging, where pea gravel pathways weave in between.
For further adventures in the natural world, Wimbledon Common is a one-minute walk from Eagle House and is the largest expanse of heathland in the London area at over 1,000 acres. A wonderfully diverse landscape, it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Area of Conservation. The expansive nature reserve of Richmond Park, the largest of London’s Royal Parks, is a 10-minute cycle north through Wimbledon Common. For budding equestrians, the highly regarded Wimbledon Village Stables, offering riding lessons and hacking through the common, is situated in the heart of the village.
Out and About
The immediate local area offers an exceptional choice of both independent and large-scale shops and restaurants. Bayley & Sage and Table @ Vallebona are firm local favourite grocers, while Wimbledon Village Farmers Market is a very popular choice for small-scale provisors. The Ivy Café and Fire Stables are the preferred immediate choices for drinks and dining. A large branch of Waitrose is a five-minute drive away.
Local state schools are excellent, with Ursuline High School, Wimbledon College and Rutlish School being of special note. Independent schools include King’s College School, Wimbledon High School, Hall School Wimbledon and Donhead Preparatory.
District Line services run from nearby Wimbledon Underground Station, while Wimbledon Station is served by Southwestern railway and Thameslink. There is also easy access to and from Wimbledon by car, as it borders the A3 and A24, linking the southwest with Central London
Tenure: Share of Freehold
Underlying Lease Length: 125 years from 1st January 2018
Service Charge: Approx. £5,000 per annum
Ground Rent: £1 per annum
Eagle House was originally built in 1613 for wealthy merchant Robert Bell, one of the founders of the East India Company. In 1790 it became the first public school in Wimbledon and was noted as ‘a school for young noblemen and gentlemen’. The house was later restored in 1887 by the distinguished architect Thomas Graham Jackson and reclaimed as a family home; Jackson was most noted for his outstanding work on Oxford University’s many colleges. The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer lived at Eagle House as a boarding pupil in 1803 and an English Heritage blue plaque commemorates his life there.
- Inspiration of the Week: prints charming – patternalia in a regal residence in north LondonHomes
- A Private View: a job done well in a terraced townhouse in BrixtonHomes
- A Private View: a framer’s flat on the Thames foreshore is the picture of peacefulnessHomes
- Inspiration of the Week: traversing time in a red-brick renovation in SomersetHomes
- Inspiration of the Week: stratas of style in a Georgian farmhouse in East SussexHomes