Behind an imposing façade of red-brick pilasters, this expansive one-bedroom apartment lies on the second floor of a striking former factory between Kings Cross and Angel. Unfolding laterally, the home is characterised by double-height ceilings, exposed brickwork and vast expanses of original glazing, creating bright and open living spaces. Remodelled by renowned Berdoulat interiors, the spaces are a perfect blend for both living and entertaining. The apartment has private off-street parking.
Setting the Scene
Formerly a factory, City Gate Place was built in 1937-8 for the Ormond Engineering Co. and specialised in the production of screws, radio parts and Bakelite electrical goods. Later, the building was used by a succession of different companies, from the Royal Mail to a photographic archive and British Telecom. In the late 90s, the factory underwent an extensive redevelopment into residential apartments, respecting the building’s industrial history while creating spaces for modern living. For more information, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
Entry is on the second floor via a foyer with separate utility and cloak room; the current owner has installed a set of antique double doors creating a grand entrance to the main living spaces. Originally a reception room and separate bedroom, the spaces have been opened up to create one large, light-filled, lateral entertaining area. A mixture of poured concrete and original wooden floorboards ground the space, and original exposed brickwork adds a beautiful warmth to the walls. Soaring ceilings are emphasised by dual-aspect windows with uninterrupted, far-reaching views over the back of the plot.
The current owners have delineated the living areas into a large living-room-come-library, a study space and a dining room. A mezzanine, used for storage, runs above the entrance hallway.
Adjacent to the dining area is a charming open kitchen with Venetian plastered walls and cabinetry with antique wooden worktops. A Belfast sink with open glass shelving above adds to the sense of openness achieved throughout the rest of the apartment.
At the end of the entrance foyer is the primary bedroom. The space has been partially painted in ‘Oval Room Blue’ by Farrow & Ball and has ample bespoke storage. The extended mezzanine is accessible from here and is the perfect storage spot for larger household items. Adjacent lies the bathroom with contemporary tiling, a bath and an overhead shower.
Externally, there is allocated residents parking at the front of the building and a communal bike storage area.
Out and About
Pentonville Road is in a fantastic location, wonderfully central and a short walk from the plethora of boutiques and restaurants in both Angel and King’s Cross. Exmouth Market is a short walk away, with restaurants like Moro, Morito, Quality Chop House and the Eagle on Farringdon Road. Nearby Coal Drops Yard and King’s Cross Quarter have an further selection of excellent eateries, including Lina Stores, Barrafina, Granger & Co. and Dishoom. The Screen on the Canal provides a charming outdoor space with films on throughout warmer months, and the Almeida and King’s Head theatres are both in the other direction towards Angel.
The much-admired Foundling Museum is within walking distance, and Coram’s fields is the perfect location for a weekend picnic or stroll. Further afield, the museum districts of Holborn and Fitzrovia are also within reaching distance.
Angel underground station is a walk from the home with regular Northern Line services. Kings Cross station also offers excellent transport links, with the Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines under one roof. Wider UK and international travel is also a stones throw away at St Pancras International.
Lease Length: Approx. 104 years remaining
Service Charge: £4,500 p/a
Council Tax Band: E
Originally grazing fields, Pentonville Road was developed in the late 18th century. Once part of the New Road (a bypass built for coach and horse traffic named after the new town of Pentonville), the street is distinguished by a ‘set-back’ housing plan, conceived as a spacious residential thoroughfare. The original 1756 act to create the New Road prohibited any building within 50 feet of the roadside.
The arrival of the railways in the 1840s turned the area from a quiet suburb into a manufacturing hub, with factories and workshops lining the road.
This change was part of the withdrawal of significant manufacturing in central London, which spilt into the ever-expanding suburbs. In 1857 the road was renamed Pentonville Road after landowner Henry Penton as part of a larger expansion of King’s Cross and Angel.
Throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, numerous commercial premises established themselves in the area. People ignored the original bylaw restricting property being built on the road, and storefronts began to be built on top of front gardens.
By the 21st century, most of the manufacturing base along Pentonville Road had disappeared with the city’s expansion; the few remaining townhouses remained residential, and large industrial premises were converted into apartments or entertainment venues.