This outstanding Grade-II listed townhouse has been exactingly restored to its rightful Georgian resplendence. A part of the century-spanning architectural patchwork of Newark town centre, the four-bedroom house has a quietly elegant façade that sits in opposition to the gothic intricacies of the adjacent St Mary Magdalene Church. Contrast continues in the neat rear garden, where a medieval wall sits alongside a Victorian chimney stack. London King’s Cross can be reached in an hour and 15 minutes by train, making this the perfect spot to revel in historic town living while having excellent transport connections close at hand.
Setting the Scene
The late 18th and early 19th centuries were a period of economic boom in Newark as industries including textile tanning, brewing and engineering emerged in the town. Genteel houses grew in line with this new prosperity. Facing the green of St Mary Magdalene and its mature beech trees, the early 18th-century house’s smart facade is typical of the Georgian era, adorned with chamfered quoin borders and divided into five equal bays. The absence of vehicles on Church Walk amplifies the sense of history, and the past is palpable. For more information, please see the History section.
Entering through a front door flanked by Tuscan columns, a succession of finely proportioned rooms unfold. The restoration here is meticulous; where the original building exudes order, symmetry and formality, the considered choice of material, colour and decoration balances past and present with a gentle warmth. Cabochon tiles line the broad, bright hallway that unites the heart of the plan. On one side, a formal reception room, rich with the warm tones of Farrow and Ball’s ‘Drop Cloth’, is a welcoming, well-ordered space with a wall of bespoke bookshelves and an elegant marble-framed open fire. On the other side of the hall, and with a fireplace and detailing of the same idiom, the dining room is lined in fine timber panelling painted in ‘White Tie’ from Farrow and Ball; a refined space gently softened by exposed timber floors.
The kitchen is to the rear of the house, with direct access out into the garden. An immensely practical space with limestone flooring, inbuilt cupboard, and bespoke joinery, it leads onto a recently redecorated utility room.
Upstairs, three calm bedrooms, one of which is currently used as a secondary living space, are rich with period detail. The timber texture of shutters, architraves, panelling and doors are exposed, tied in by the original timber floorboards that run throughout. These bright and generous rooms have views of the lawn of St Mary Magdalene to the front, or the rooftops of Newark town centre to the rear. Both bathrooms are finished with tiling, Carrara marble, and walk-in showers. In the shared bathroom, a free-standing bath makes the most of views out into the leafy tree canopy.
A fourth bedroom is tucked into the vaulted roof on the second floor and has access to extensive eaves storage.
Two considerable spaces remain undeveloped: the expansive cellar, which has previously been used for storage and is lit by clerestory windows; and the historic washhouse. The Connected across a small courtyard, the latter retains its quarry flooring, fireplace and sink.
Occupying a decidedly historic plot, the garden is bound on one side by a medieval wall, and looks onto an ivy-clad chimney once part of the Church’s heating system. The garden is formalised by two symmetrical raised beds, bound by willow hurdles and surrounded by a lawned area. Each end is finished with paving, creating the perfect area for outdoor seating. A mature holly tree adds interest year-round, and a rose climbs up the external wall. Perennials including jasmine clematis, and euphorbia, sit along side foxgloves and tulips. Leading directly from the kitchen, the garden provides direct access both to the cellar and the street. To the front of the property on the Church green, a mighty Copper Beech sits alongside an ancient yew, both creating a verdant backdrop to the house.
Out and About
Newark-on-Trent is a historic market town; today the Royal Market occupies the central square five days a week, and butchers, bakers and good cafés are all within a few minutes’ walk. The town’s namesake, the river Trent runs along its western border, and is the setting of the dramatic 12th-century Newark Castle, the site of King John’s death in 1217. Footpaths follow the river’s bank as it meanders its way to Nottingham. Close by on Appleton Gate, the art deco Palace Theatre hosts comedy, drama, musicals and community shows.
There are two train stations in the town; Newark Northgate is a 10-minute walk away and serves direct trains to Kings Cross in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The surrounding countryside is home to many good gastro pubs including the Reindeer at Hoveringham, The Olive Branch at Clipsham and the Six Bells at Witham on the Hill. For further gothic ecclesiastical architecture, Southwell Minster is a short drive away, or for more natural wonder, the ancient woodlands of Sherwood Forest are a 40-minute drive. For the more intrepid explorer, the expansive moorlands and spa towns of the Peak District are an hour and a half by car.
Council Tax Band: F
Newark-on-Trent has a long and rich history dating back to Roman times when it was first known as “Pomtun.” Its strategic location on the River Trent made it a significant trading hub in medieval times, earning it a royal charter in 1156. The town’s medieval heyday is vividly illustrated by the formidable presence of Newark Castle and the splendour of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, monuments to its enduring significance. It has long been believed that there are tunnels beneath the town that connect the two.
During the English Civil War, Newark-on-Trent was a crucial Royalist stronghold on the River Trent. Proclaiming allegiance to King Charles I in 1642, it weathered a succession of sieges, notably the protracted Siege of Newark from 1644 to 1646. Despite steadfast resistance, the town yielded in 1646, heralding a pivotal juncture in the conflict’s trajectory. After the conflict, Newark faced economic hardship but eventually recovered and prospered in industries like brewing and agriculture. Throughout the 18th century, the town’s population more than doubled and two train stations were built to serve the population and better facilitate trade, and it is now known for its well-preserved Georgian architecture, including the neo-classical Town Hall.
Interested? Let’s talk
- Matt Gibberd on the importance of materials in designHomes
- A Home with a History: all things bright and beautiful at an antique dealer’s 16th-century house in SuffolkInteriors
- Shades of Difference: five homes with prismatic palettes for saleHomes
- A Home with a History: a painter’s sensory sketchpad of a house
- Inspiration of the Week: from clapped-out to clutter-free in ClaptonHomes / Interiors