This beautiful two-bedroom apartment is located on Fernhead Road, a short stroll from the enclaves of independent shops and green open spaces of Queen’s Park. Occupying the top two floors of a handsome late Victorian townhouse, the apartment enjoys far-reaching views across the local skyline from its private roof terrace. Arranged over approximately 820 sq ft internally, the current owners have undertaken a thoughtful renovation, celebrating its period features while incorporating contemporary elements.
Setting the Scene
Named in honour of Queen Victoria, Queen’s Park was originally a 100-acre site used for the Royal Agricultural Society’s annual show. Due to its close links to the expanding London Railway services, the area grew throughout the late Victorian period, which meant the construction of broad, leafy streets and large family homes in a wealth of architectural styles. The poet Francis Thompson (1859 – 1907), famous for the poem ‘The Hound of Heaven’, was a resident of Fernhead Road. For more information, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
Entry is to the first floor via a generously proportioned mezzanine hallway with built-in cabinetry and a staircase that leads to the second floor of the apartment. A large open-plan reception room/kitchen lies at the front of the plan and has impressive views over Fernhead Road; solid oak parquet flooring runs underfoot. A bespoke deVol kitchen with a bank of shaker-style cupboards painted in custom Little Greene is topped with honed Statuarietto marble and finished with solid brass fittings. These neatly house a pantry, a fridge-freezer and Miele appliances. Solid brass light fixtures from Holloways of Ludlow, cast-iron radiators and wooden shutters have been used throughout.
An upper-floor landing leads to a generously sized second bedroom with waist-height wooden panelling, a cast-iron radiator and verdant views over quiet residential gardens. Next to this room lies the large main bathroom, clad in floor-to-ceiling glazed white Mandarin Stone tiles and encaustic floor tiles underfoot. A large rainfall walk-in shower, light fixtures and a heated towel rail are all solid brass by Studio Ore.
At the rear of the plan, a peaceful main bedroom is an expansive space with a bank of bespoke wardrobes and sisal carpeting (similarly to the second bedroom) runs underfoot; a large sash window casts light over the room.
The Great Outdoors
The home is topped by a spacious outdoor terrace, offering panoramic views of Queen’s Park. An ardent oasis of white David Austin ‘Claire Austin’ climbing roses intermixed with Ceanothus Italian Skies foliage have been planted and offer beautiful blue, white and purple blossoms seasonally. Fixed potted planting includes kitchen rosemary, which scents the whole terrace on warm summer evenings, long after the sun has set. Bound by railings, planters and contemporary pink tiling on one wall, the area comes with an exterior tap; there is plenty of space for a table and chairs.
Out and About
Fernhead Road is ideally located close to an array of public transport and restaurants, and independent shops. The nearby Lonsdale Road is a quiet and largely car-free street lined with cafes and restaurants and plenty of outdoor eateries. Highlights include bakery and baking school Bread Ahead, Australian restaurant and coffee roasters Milk Beach and ultra-cool brewery and bar Wolfpack. Salusbury Road has an abundance of shops, supermarkets and cafes, including butcher Provenance ‘village’ bucther, Planet Organic and both The Salusbury Wine Store and The Salusbury Deli.
The apartment is within reaching distance of Queen’s Park, offering both Overground and Bakerloo line services. Westbourne Park is also near (Circle and Hammersmith & City lines). Both the A40 and M4 are within close proximity, offering direct links to the North and Heathrow airport.
Tenure: Share of Freehold.
Lease Length: approx. 980 years remaining
Service Charge: approx. £1,000 per annum
Council Tax Band: E
Named after Queen Victoria, Queen’s Park was originally a 100-acre site that hosted the Royal Agricultural Society annual show from 1879. Because of its location near the main railway lines to the north of England, the show became a major annual event.
The first show was opened in 1879 by the Prince and Princess of Wales; it was an immediate success with 2,879 livestock entries and over 187,000 visitors. Due to poor weather on the fifth day, a road of ballast and brick was constructed to accommodate Queen Victoria’s visit, adjoining Salusbury Road, the route was built be lined with cheering crowds and visitors.
The park itself was opened in 1887 as a public space. After an initial public appeal, 30 acres of land were given for public use, with the remaining portion of the site being laid out as residential housing with frontage to the park.
Due to its amalgamation of architectural styles and historical character, the space became a designated Conservation Area with the support of English Heritage in 1986.
Interested? Let’s talk
- The Plot Thickens: six homes with glorious gardens for saleGardens / Homes
- Inspiration of the Week: a shore winner on the Suffolk seasideHomes
- A Private View: the irresistible charm of Emma Milne-Watson’s Georgian rectory in West SussexHomes / Interiors
- A Private View: finding the former glory of a Georgian townhouse in IslingtonHomes
- A Home with a History: reflections on rural life in Gavin Plumley’s Tudor house on the edge of EnglandInterviews