This wonderfully bright, one-bedroom apartment occupies the ground floor of a handsome Edwardian terrace in Catford. Interior spaces have been sensitively restored and finished in a palette of warm, vibrant colours, which celebrate the house’s original features. At the rear is a large, northwest-facing, private garden; cleverly designed with mature planting, it receives sun throughout the day.
Setting the Scene
Catford is said to be named after the wild cats that crossed the ford at the River Ravensbourne (‘Cat-ford’). During the mid-to-late 19th century, the area was home to a significant redevelopment of farmland. With the swift expansion of the UK rail network, two local train stations offered easy access for the swathes of newly formed ‘middle-classes’ relocating outside of the city into newly built homes in the area. For more information, please see the History section below.
The Grand Tour
Entry to the home is via a corridor, which leads to the main reception room. The focal point of this charming living space is a large, slate, late-Victorian fireplace with specimen stone inserts. Light filters through the original stained glass, inset into a large patio door, which leads to a rear garden; original stripped floorboards run underfoot. Recessed shelving flanks the chimney breast alongside a working desk built into the alcove spaces.
To the rear of the plan, there is a bright kitchen with space for a table and chairs. The space has been finished in ‘India Yellow’ by Farrow & Ball and has wooden cabinetry topped with Maia worktops, a composite sink and new appliances; a bay window with patio door gives secondary access onto the tranquil garden terraces.
At the front of the home is the large, airy bedroom, painted in the beautifully warm ‘Setting Plaster’ by Farrow & Ball; the room has a tall bay window overlooking the quiet street and lots of storage space.
A bathroom with chequered tiles has been finished in calming sage green with a beautiful rolltop, claw-foot bath with an overhead shower. Additionally, useful storage runs beneath the original staircase and provides space for all of life’s necessities.
The Great Outdoors
Accessible via the main reception room or the bay kitchen window, the garden is an ardent oasis, perfect for entertaining; well-established planters sit among a gravelled patio and decked terrace above. Sitting at the rear of the plan, the space is wonderfully private.
Out and About
Elmer Road is wonderfully located moments from Mountsfield Park; the green open spaces of Forester Park and Hither Green crematorium are also a short stroll away. Local favourite Good Food deli is a walk away and sells baked goods by the renowned St John. An array of independent boutiques, restaurants and cafes are nearby, with restaurants including Sapore Vero pizzeria, Fera Lebanese grill, Station Hotel & Pub and cafes such as Milk and Arlo & Moe.
Fairytop Garden Zoo in Catford is the perfect rooftop location for cocktails or pizza and there is also a wonderful independent cinema and arts space in Catford Mews. There is also the renowned Yoga House London within walking distance.
The home sits equidistant between Catford, Catford Bridge and Hither Green, with Catford offering services to Blackfriars in 25 minutes, Catford Bridge to Charing Cross in 25 minutes, and Hither Green to London Bridge in 10 minutes. There are a plethora of bus routes running services across south-east London into the city.
Tenure: Share of Freehold
Lease Length: Approx. 991 years remaining
Ground Rent: Peppercorn
Service Charge: N/A
Council Tax Band: B
The name Catford was first recorded in 1254 when the land was purchased for building two moated houses (one near Catford Bridge and the other Rushey Green). By the mid-18th-century both the houses and the surrounding land had transformed into small hamlets in their own right.
The 19th century was a period in which Catford’s saw the most change; in 1857, the opening of Catford Bridge station on the Mid-Kent Railway line encouraged swathes of new, middle-class families to move to newly constructed houses in the area. By the 1880s, parades of shops lined Catford Broadway, the parish church of St Laurence was consecrated, and a newly built town hall was in situ.
By 1892, suburban development was at its peak; the opening of Catford Station encouraged the development of a greyhound stadium, a concert hall, a theatre and multiple retail stores. Landowners sold their remaining farms to major developers, and extensive estates of late Victorian homes were built for the waves of new residents.
Partially redeveloped in the 1960s and ’70s, Catford is an amalgamation of Victorian, Edwardian and now even brutalist architecture, with the introduction of Eros House, an office building designed by Rodney Gordon and Owen Luder in 1963.
Interested? Let’s talk
- The Plot Thickens: six homes with glorious gardens for saleGardens / Homes
- Inspiration of the Week: a shore winner on the Suffolk seasideHomes
- A Private View: the irresistible charm of Emma Milne-Watson’s Georgian rectory in West SussexHomes / Interiors
- A Private View: finding the former glory of a Georgian townhouse in IslingtonHomes
- A Home with a History: reflections on rural life in Gavin Plumley’s Tudor house on the edge of EnglandInterviews